When I think of August there are a number of images that come to mind…the beach, pools, sports, ice tea with sweat dripping down the glass, and ever since I was a teen the hope of a summer romance. Now you may be more practical, but I have been a romance reader since about the 5th grade, stealing my mom’s Grace Livingston Hill novels and finding a quiet nook to lean into a story that ended with a happily-ever-after. If this isn’t you, or you need a few suggestions, I have secured some book suggestions from the library staff and have created a list below!
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
- Love Actually
- Roman Holiday
- The Princess Bride
The Fault in Our Stars is a favorite romance of mine. It’s been a while since I’ve read it, but I remember reading it during class in high school because it was so hard to put down!
Enchanted by Taylor Swift is an all-time favorite romance song for me. It captures the feeling of first love so well that listening to it 13 years later I feel like I’m being transported back to my basement listening on repeat.
- Anne of Green Gables & Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery
- Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman
- The Sherwood Ring by Elizabeth Marie Pope
- Green Rider by Kristen Britain
- Howl’s Moving Castle by Diane Wynne Jones
- Persuasion by Jane Austen
- The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy
- With this Ring by Carla Kelly
A favorite of mine is Johanna Lindsey’s Malory books.
The series has recurring characters, a pirate, shipbuilding, aristocracy, and more, with settings in New England and England. There is lots of fun dialogue and intrigue.
These are a few of our favorite books. What are yours?